Thursday, March 26, 2015

Review The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski


Title: The Winner's Curse
Author: Marie Rutkoski
Publication Date: 3rd March, 2015
Publisher: Square Fish
Page: 384
Language: English
ISBN: 1250056977 (ISBN13: 9781250056979)


Well, finally the book I ordered from bookdepository.com arrived after waited for 20 days.
Mint condition and great cover anyway, I read it as soon as possible.

Well, finished it in a day and...well I'm a bit..bit disappointed. I just not attached to the book. I don't love the characters, yet. And I don't really like the politic war thingie in any form or shape. It's ugly and all about betrayal, lie, self sacrifice.
But, this is really a good book. It has logic and strong characters. Just not really my cup of tea.

Afterthought and questions (may contain spoilers).

What: A country colonized by another country. They made the colonized country people slaves. A daughter from the General fall in love with a slave.
Okay, from what i read, i don't really get why she fall in love with the slave. what make the slave outstanding? I don't really believe this part. And why she bought that slave? Because she has sympathy for the Herrani? Maybe. Why she fell in love with him? I don't get this part, did I miss it?

Who: Kastrel and Arin... Me not believing them, making it hard to believe the story. Sigh.

Why: Because of war? Valorian love to war, battle, and winning. Herrani called them wild creatures.
Yes, but how could they not realized Arin make weapons and distributes them through the city? It's a large sum of weapons i guess. How could nobody suspect it? Kastrel is stupid too. She knows Arin clever and whatever, how could she... what so good about him that she want to protect him? If I am her, I will not give a shit to Arin.

When: Somewhen in alternate universe.

Where: Valoria and Herran. Some place fictive. The world building... I don't know, I just imagined Herran somewhat like prince of persia setting. It's unclear. Or maybe I miss it.

How: That is the question. What is their bound. What make Kastrel believe and care for Arin. Arin supposed to seduced Kastrel, not? He needs access and information for his people rebellion. But he did nothing. What so good about him?? Oh my god Kastrel T__T
In my opinion, he should sacrifice something for her, so she undoubtedly feel something for him. But no. Why should Kastrel do the sacrifice? And in the end get betrayed. Silly.
Why Kastrel sacrifice herself and throw herself in that kind of war and game? Yes her father is a general, but didn't mean she has to please him to that extend. Because she feel sorry for the Herrani, feel guilty, sympathy, sorry? But I don't feel it from her. Because she love Arin so very much? But why??? I feel all are half-hearted and unbelievable. :(

Let see the second book. Hope I will get some light for this darkness I feel.
Full review soon. Ha!
I give it 3 stars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hello.. Leave your messages here and i would gladly respond to it! Cheers!!